About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Wednesday 12 October 2011

'i've been told to play'...

Its a new term, new brief, new style, new me...
Aparently play and process makes perfect - and we all strive to be sort of 'perfect' - or good, I think.  I have chosen the theme of'lens' to research and visually investigate.  Asking people what they think of when they hear the word lens was my starting point, as well as the dictionary, of course, predictable I know but very informative.  Dis you know the Latin word for lens is Lentil? 
The brief focuses on surface decoration, pattern and colour which are gorgeous things to explore.  I am totally out of my comfort zone, I am usually very tidy - oh yes and precious about everything and I am trying to be the total opposite - messy - BOLD - and 'random' a favourite word of my friends!  Again, I am loving every minute but also feel strange about the whole thing and what things I am producing in my sketchbook. 
So far, I have just 'played' with materials, mixin' it all up - its great!  I have looked at weird and wonderful but beautiful things under the microscope, such as deadly diseases - they are strangely beautiful, its an odd concept really.  Also, I have been enjoying looking at our favourite alcoholic 'bevvies' under the microscope which are gorgeous, and I am sure these alone, will inspire me to make gorgeous products!    

No comments:

Post a Comment