About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Sunday 16 October 2011

you make me happy...design event Newcastle

Had an absolutely fab day on Saturday, soaking up loads of gorgeous products at: The Biscuit Factory, The Holy Biscuit and Shipley Art Gallery.  The Exhibition 'The Good Life' at The Biscuit...was scrummy, loved the retro furniture and screen prints by Emma Lawrenson.  Downstairs was an 'unexpected' opportunity to look at some of the jewellers I had been researching online, just the night before!  I had gone to the gallery with a friend and had my mind focused on looking at jewellery made with non-precious materials and printing methods on clay - I found lots of inspiration for my new brief.  Plus Sarah Morpeth's stitch books were gorgeous and I so want one.  Hint, hint!  The Holy Biscuit a venue just over the road to 'The Biscuit'...was the venue for the designer marketplace (the same as the event at Middlesbrough Town Hall), it was great to see past students and lecturers from CCAD and share experiences and advice.  Not to mention I spent a fortune!  Last but not least, I had to visit Nora Fok's 'Cloud Nylon' exhibition.  Absolutely brilliant!  Everyone in the region should go, her pieces or 'ethereal sculptures' are amazing.  Well done Shipley for hosting such a lovely, inspiring exhibition, the staff are always so helpful and knowledgeable. 
 - Still buzzing from my experiences and purchases today! Also, enjoyed being with my friend Helen and lunch! 
twmuseums.org.uk/shipley

Also explore:  thebiscuitfactory.com

2 comments:

  1. Em I was there today....well just at the Baltic it was fab loved it too! Sarah Morpeth is so inspiring her work is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - we had a great day . I was even impressed with Nora Fok - some amazing jewellery. We must have another day to educate me....

    ReplyDelete