About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Thursday 1 December 2011

Knitting and Stitching Show Harrogate

Thanks to a lovely friend, I got to go to the Show!  I was a Knitting and Stitching Show virgin and the experience was absolutely brilliant but overwhelming too.  The best part was speaking to designers and makers.  I really enjoyed speaking to Julia Jowett, whose career is taking off in a big way, or I told her it was! I was so pleased for her - She has been invited to dress the Selvedge window early next year, now that is an opportunity of a lifetime.  I enjoyed too seeing everyone having such a great time - I saw the biggest crochet needles ever - where the workshops were being held.  Next time I go, I am going armed with a list of all the things I want to see and want to buy - then it will not feel so scary.  It's great too that something like this event is happening in the NORTH too.  I came away very inspired to try about a hundred new techniques, but right this minute I am enjoying learning to crochet as part of my current brief, it is all starting to make sense and I am learning to read my work and stitches too - my tutor Eyv will be so happy.  I have just mastered the popcorn and the square - by using chains and trebles into the same stitch...It's great, I love it, I just want to learn more and more...
http://www.juliajowett.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment