About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Wednesday 18 January 2012

On the Make...

I'm nearly there, another brief nearly finished.  It's 'make' time, and all that sampling and trying new things are all paying off.  It has been a roller coaster of a ride, making samples in ceramics, acrylic and a range of textiles to make a range of products all stemming from the word 'lens'.  My products have been inspired by bacteria, cells and such like, when viewed under the microscope.  I have looked at a range of images to inspire me - and actually diseases and 'nasty' things look quite beautiful under the microscope.  If this brief was to continue I would have liked to use my inspiration and research on raising awareness - for example on Cancer, this could still happen, in the future, who knows? 
I have really enjoyed being challenged and have done so by using different techniques, or building and working on existing skills, as well as using new materials such as acrylic and in textiles I have learned to crochet and worked on many techniques.  I hope to have a range of acrylic jewellery including necklaces and cuff/bracelets inspired by 'tuberculosis'.  A test tube rack complete with test tubes and concial flasks, wearing textile jackets made from crochet, felt, machined embroidery!  All inspired by disease and cells too! And finally a ceramic installation - of porcelain and stitch to represent Legionnaires Disease to complete the range!  Well back to making...

No comments:

Post a Comment