About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Monday 11 February 2013

in stitches...

I just cannot believe it has been nine months since my last blog, so much has changed since then.  I have graduated from college with a foundation degree in Applied Arts - with merit!  I have started a design, textile and stitch course in Durham city, which I absolutely love - it is only one day each week but I come away inspired and with loads of work which takes up the rest of the week!  Each week we focus on either traditional stitch and embroidery, or contemporary - and we look at both elements within machine stitching too, it's a brilliant course which teaches lots of techniques, looks at the five elements of design in detail: line, shape, form, colour and texture and also requires you to create lots of samples, experimental pieces and finished pieces and projects. 
I have also moved house - and I fall in love with it more each day, its small, white and soooo cute, my little dream home.  It is not too small to not have a studio, in fact my studio is even bigger than my last one, it just needs some 'tlc' and a bit more of my stamp on it, some more storage and shelving and it will be even more fabulous!
Apart from being very busy with my new course and new home, I have admittedly felt a bit overwhelmed and also worried about losing my skills.  I have on good advice decided to focus on textiles and work on my jewellery 'as a hobby' in the summer, as I need to develop my own 'brand' and focus my skills in one area. 
Here are some of the things and sampling, I have been working on since September, herringbone stitch, gathering - mock smocking on the machine - using twin needle, stuffing - fabric manipulation, couching and applying on the machine, and creating my own textured, layered fabric with free machine embroidery... back soon...







1 comment: