About Me

My photo
After graduating from Art College with a Foundation Degree in Applied Arts. I have decided to focus on textiles and creating textile art, using a range of media and surface embellishments. I have recently started a two year course which is focused on design and stitched textiles worked and embroidered by hand and on the sewing machine. I love the mix of traditional and contemporary elements, as I love the history of embroidery and stitches and enjoy sampling and experimenting with them to make them contemporary. Living near to Durham City I am close to endless sources of inspiration to use in my work. Please note all text and images are subject to copyright © Emma Mears

Thursday 30 May 2013

my stitchschool year...

woweee, i have almost finished my first year of stitchschool, in Durham.  It has flown by!  I have been so busy doing every type of stitching from hand applique to hardanger, broderie Anglaise to blackwork, and that's only naming a few...also dabbling in space dyeing and studying 'colour', line and shape in a lot of detail...
Above:  contemporary canvas work - based on inspiration from a garden in Country Living Magazine. 

I have also been looking far and wide for inspiration for my stitched textiles and for setting up my own business in the future...after visiting Saltburn with a friend to have a peruse around a market we realised a vintage fair was on too!  I was so inspired I am looking into getting my own stall!  I bought a few things to add to my collection, some old pins in a gorgeous tin, and some old threads and cottons - the colours back then were lovely! But I daren't use them, they look so nice in my old wooden box! 
Anyway, need to get on with stitching! 
Looking forward to visiting the Lindisfarne Gospels exhibition in Durham in August - it starts July though, I am hoping this will give me more ideas for my work...the exhibition has got Durham City buzzing!   see www.lindisfarnegospels.com

Bye for now...  I will leave you with a little sample of 'contemporary' cut work and Broderie Anglaise, stitched onto a scrap of Liberty fabric...hope you like...


 


No comments:

Post a Comment